Looking south from above the Bel Air hills, across the campus, which had only recently opened when the 1930 photo was taken. In the foreground of the 1930 photo is the Sawtelle Pressure Break Reservoir, which was completed in 1924 and used until the 1970s, and, at the extreme bottom right, Bel Air Country Club, which opened in 1926. In 1999, the club purchased the property for conversion into a practice area/driving range; it is also used by Marymount High School, which moved to its current location, across Sunset Blvd. from UCLA, in 1931.
In the distance in the 1930 photo are a few of the original buildings of Westwood Village, including the Janss Dome at the corner of Westwood and Kinross, at the time home to the Janss Investment Company, and the Ralphs grocery store at the corner of Westwood and Lindbrook, which had opened the previous year. Also visible on Le Conte Ave. is the building that is now the Geffen Playhouse.
Visit the "Then and Now" archive.