Have you ever found yourself walking on campus and thinking, “I wonder who the Powell in Powell Library is”? Many places on campus have been named after influential people who have made an impact on UCLA in one way or another. Below is a brief history of the namesakes of UCLA sites. (Sources: UCLA Magazine, Winter 2014 and UCLA Interactive Map)
William Coit Ackerman ’24 came to UCLA in 1920, a year after the Vermont campus opened. As a sophomore, he began coaching the tennis team and held the position until 1950, with his teams posting 10 Pacific Coast Conference titles, as well as an NCAA championship. He served as executive director of the Associated Students from 1933 to 1967. The student union building was named Ackerman Union in 1967, the year of his retirement.
Edgardo Acosta, an alumnus of UCLA, and his wife, Francesca, made a generous donation to UCLA in order to support the university’s humanities and athletic programs. The Acostas were involved in the collection of paintings, sculptures, and drawings, and had an art gallery in which the works they acquired were sold.
Wallis Annenberg is a philanthropist and the president and chairman of the Annenberg Foundation. She is on the board of trustees of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and is involved with the Wallis Annenberg Concourse at the UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center. In 2018, the new men’s and women’s soccer stadium was introduced as the Wallis Annenberg Stadium.
Arthur Ashe ’66 was as much an activist as he was a tennis champion. He became a Bruin after accepting a tennis scholarship in 1963 and went on to become the first African-American man to win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, and the first African American to be named No. 1 in the world. Off the court, he fought against racial segregation in South Africa, worked to provide tennis opportunities for urban youth and raised awareness of the growing AIDS issue in the U.S.
Llewellyn M.K. Boelter was a graduate of UC Berkeley, where he taught engineering for more than 20 years. He came south to organize and lead UCLA’s College of Engineering from 1944 until his retirement in 1965. He was renowned as a researcher in the fields of heat transfer and thermodynamics (Dittus-Boelter equation).
Professor Paul D. Boyer has taught in UCLA’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry since 1963. He is also founding director of the UCLA Molecular Biology Institute. He achieved greatness even before coming to UCLA, however, by working on war research in 1943 at Stanford University and introducing kinetic, isotopic and chemical methods for investigating enzyme mechanisms at the University of Minnesota. In 1997, he received a Nobel Prize in Chemistry and came out of retirement to resume his research.
Tom Bradley’s grandfather was a slave. His parents were sharecroppers. He was born in a log cabin. But after earning a scholarship to UCLA, joining the Los Angeles Police Department and earning the rank of lieutenant, Bradley became Los Angeles’ first African-American mayor, an office he held for 20 years. Under his guidance, the city hosted the 1984 Olympic Games, expanded the Los Angeles International Airport and began building a light-rail system.
James Bridges was a two-time Academy Award nominee, and director and writer of “The China Syndrome.” The theater became one of Southern California’s outstanding screening locales thanks to the generous support of the filmmaker’s partner, actor Jack Larson, and the Bridges/Larson Foundation.
Eli Broad is an entrepreneur and philanthropist, who made his fortune as the co-founder of KB Home and founder of SunAmerica. After the 1994 Northridge earthquake nearly destroyed UCLA’s on-campus art center, The Broad Foundation made a large donation to go towards the construction of the new Eli and Edythe Broad Art Center. This center includes classrooms, galleries, studio space, auditoriums and conference space for students and the general public.
As a Bruin, Ralph Bunche ’27 played varsity basketball, competed in track and field, wrote for the Daily Bruin, took part in debate and graduated summa cum laude, all while working as a janitor. After UCLA, he earned a place in the U.S. government and served in the United Nations. Through his work in Palestine, Israel and the Arab States signed an armistice agreement in 1949. He received the Nobel Peace Prize the next year.
Lily Bess Campbell taught at UCLA from 1922 to 1950. She left her mark on the academic world through her work in Renaissance and Shakespearean literature. She was a scholar and writer whose works included “Scenes and Machines on the English Stage during the Renaissance: A Classical Revival” and “Shakespeare’s Tragic Heroes, Slaves of Passion.” Her most famous works include the first modern edition of “The Mirror of Magistrates,” a collection of poems from the Tudor period in England.
Former Chancellor, Albert Carnesale, transformed UCLA from a commuter campus into a residential campus. During his tenure from 1997-2006, he completed a $3.1 million dollar fundraising campaign in which he created Fiat Lux classes, the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI), the Broad Stem Cell Research Institute, the Nazarian Center for Israel Studies and the Institute for Society and Genetics. He also developed new ideas for campus such as the Ronald Reagan Medical Center, and renovations to many humanities buildings.
William Andrews Clark, Jr. named the library for his father, William Andrews Clark Sr., who founded a mining empire in Montana. The elder Clark owned mills, smelters and mines — almost everything he needed to produce copper. In 1899, he ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate from Montana; he was elected in 1901.
James A. Collins graduated from UCLA in 1950 and soon afterward opened his first restaurant, “Hamburger Handout.” Today, his company includes hundreds of Kentucky Fried Chicken and Sizzler restaurants. He has been a generous philanthropist, making large gifts to UCLA and serving in volunteer leadership positions across the campus.
Constructed in 1995, Cornell Hall is named after Clark and Barbara June (B.J.) Cornell, who funded this new addition to UCLA’s Anderson School of Management. Cornell is also the chairman and founder of the Forms Engineering Company, one of the West’s leading mail printing companies.
Dr. Mitchel D. Covel enrolled as an undergraduate at UCLA in 1934 and eventually earned his medical degree at UC San Francisco. After World War II, he returned to Southern California and joined the clinical faculty of the UCLA School of Medicine in 1960. He and his wife, Susan, supported UCLA as philanthropists and volunteers.
Marion Davies, born Marion Cecilia Douras, was an actress of the early 20th century. She starred in such films as “Chin-Chin,” “Miss 1917” and “Cecilia of the Pink Roses.” By the time her acting career was over, she had starred in 46 films. She donated $1.9 million in 1952 for the construction of the children’s center that bears her name. The project was an outgrowth of the Davies Foundation, a charitable, nonprofit corporation through which the star channeled efforts to fight childhood diseases.
Felipe de Neve was the fourth governor of Las Californias from 1775 to 1782. Under his leadership, four missions were founded in California, Mission San Francisco de Asís, Mission San Juan Capistrano, Mission Santa Clara de Asís and Mission San Buenaventura. De Neve was later appointed to Comandante General of the Provincias Internas due to his successes as governor.
As the first member of the University of California Board of Regents to represent the southern half of the state, Edward A. Dickson sought to establish a southern branch of the University of California. He dedicated his newspaper, Los Angeles Express, and its news columns to the need of an educational institution in Southern California.
Paul A. Dodd came to UCLA in 1928 as a labor economist. He served as both professor and dean of the College of Letters and Science during his 32-year tenure and was founding director of the UCLA Institute of Industrial Relations (now the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment).
Elvin C. Drake attended UCLA and earned three letters in cross country running in 1923. He became a track and field coach and athletics trainer at UCLA and from 1942 to 1972 he was the head trainer. Under Drake’s leadership, the school won its first track and field title, the 1956 National Collegiate Athletic Association national outdoor title. Also named after him is the UCLA basketball Elvin C. "Ducky" Drake Memorial Award for Competitive Spirit, Inspiration and Unselfish Contributions.
Clarence Addison Dykstra became provost and vice president of UCLA in October 1944. He taught political science for eight years on both the Vermont and Westwood campuses and eventually became president of the University of Wisconsin. Dykstra fought for student housing and, through his efforts, the first two west-campus dormitories were built.
UCLA alumnus James L. Easton, CEO and president of sporting goods manufacturer James D. Easton, Inc., donated funds to rebuild the softball stadium. He has also provided financial and equipment support for UCLA sports programs.
Louis Factor, once vice president of the international cosmetics firm Max Factor Co., began his career as a teenager, working in his family’s Hollywood plant. He became a force in the industry and found success in the business world. Doris Factor, his childhood sweetheart, donated a substantial sum to UCLA after her husband’s death in 1975, making the completion of the Factor Building possible.
Grace Maxwell Fernald established the center in 1921 originally as a research and training center for the study, diagnosis and treatment of learning disorders in children. She directed the school from its founding to 1946, during which time it received worldwide recognition for the development of remedial techniques and their successful application to educational problems.
In 1992, what had been known as the Museum and Laboratories of Ethnic Arts and Technology was renamed the Fowler Museum of Cultural History — after the family of collector and inventor Francis E. Fowler, Jr. — and, in 2006, as the Fowler Museum at UCLA.
At UCLA from 1924 to 1933, Shepherd Ivory Franz served as professor and as the first chairman of the UCLA Department of Psychology. Near the end of his UCLA career, he and some of his colleagues established graduate education at UCLA in 12 departments.
David Geffen is an entertainment mogul and founder of Dreamworks of SKG and Geffen Records. His record companies signed artists such as The Eagles, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell. Geffen donated $5 million to a local Westwood theater and it was soon renamed the Geffen Playhouse. In 2002, he announced a $200 million unrestricted endowment for the UCLA School of Medicine which would be renamed as the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
A gift from longtime UCLA benefactors Leon ’42 and Toby Gold enabled the construction of Leon and Toby Gold Hall in the Anderson School of Management.
Leslie Gonda escaped from the Komárom forced-labor camp in Hungary. His wife, Susan, survived Auschwitz. As Holocaust survivors, the two founded the Leslie and Susan Gonda (Goldschmied) Foundation, purposed with creating facilities and endowments for vascular, diabetes, genetic and neuroscientific research at major medical institutions and universities around the world.
Wendy Goldberg is an editor and author and her husband, Leonard, is an award-winning film and television producer and executive. The couple made a $10 million gift to UCLA in 2015 to go towards multidisciplinary research on migraines. The UCLA Goldberg Migraine Program was created and is led by Dr. Andrew Charles.
As an undergraduate at Ursinus College, Charles Grove Haines played football and discovered his love for government. He served on UCLA’s political science faculty from 1925 until his death in 1948. He was an authority on the American judiciary and the author of six volumes on the proceedings of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Earle Raymond Hedrick served as vice president and provost of UCLA from 1937 to 1942. Prior to his administrative position, he taught mathematics for 13 years. He served as president of the American Mathematical Association and as editor of the American Mathematics Monthly for 21 years.
Mira Hershey was a wealthy philanthropist whose support made the building of the first campus dormitory possible. A portion of her estate, valued in the millions, is used to maintain the philanthropies she instituted during her lifetime.
Charles Hitch was a professor of economics at UCLA, and served as the 13th president of the University of California from 1968 to 1975. The world-renowned economist served as assistant secretary of defense and comptroller of the Pentagon in the Kennedy Administration. His stormy tenure as UC president was marked by his strident campaign for the right of Communist Angela Davis to teach philosophy at UCLA and weathered the controversy over a UC Berkeley course taught by Black Panther leader Eldridge Cleaver.
The Janss Steps are the original 87-step entrance to the University. They were named for the Janss brothers who sold the land that UCLA is built on for about one-third of the going market rate. Leading up from Wilson Plaza to Dickson Court, the Janss Steps have long been a fixture on campus. Before Bruin Plaza became the student activities area, the Janss Steps were often used as an informal assembly area. Speakers at the Steps have included Senator Adlai Stevenson, President John F. Kennedy and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Renée and David Kaplan earned their doctorates at UCLA and were members of the UCLA faculty for almost 60 years. Jordan Kaplan, along with his wife, Christine, and business partner, Ken Panzer, made a generous gift to the University in honor of his parents, Renee and David Kaplan. The University changed the name of Humanities to Renée and David Kaplan Hall in recognition of this donation.
Philanthropist and dance lover Glorya Kaufman is a generous patron of the arts. Her gift enabled UCLA to restore the Dance Building, which now bears her name.
William G. Kerckhoff found success in the lumber industry and then turned his attention toward the development of hydroelectric power, bringing electricity to Southern and Central California. Less than two decades later, he and his colleagues created the Southern California Gas Corporation in 1910. Kerckhoff’s wife, Louise, at the request of her husband before his death, provided more than $800,000 toward the construction of Kerckhoff Hall, UCLA’s original student union.
Edgar Lee Kinsey, professor of physics and former chairman of the department, taught at UCLA from 1928 until his death in 1961. He was nationally known in the field of spectroscopy and made numerous contributions that, in turn, proved important for the development of transistors.
Vern Oliver Knudsen served as professor, department chair, dean of graduate studies, vice chancellor and, eventually, chancellor of UCLA from 1959-1960. As an academic, Knudsen studied physics and specialized in acoustics. He designed the acoustics of most of the original Hollywood sound stages and, during World War II, researched submarine warfare for the U.S. Navy.
Lester Korn ’59, M.B.A. ’60 was a founder of Korn/Ferry International, the world’s largest executive recruiting firm, and served as its CEO for more than 20 years. He served as an ambassador to the United Nations from 1987 to 1988. He is now the chairman and CEO of Korn Capital Group and Korn Tuttle Capital Group, as well as a member of the UCLA Anderson Board of Visitors. To honor his service and that of his wife, Carolbeth ’59, the Anderson School of Management’s convocation hall was named Korn Hall.
Morton La Kretz ’48 founded Crossroads Management, which manages industrial, commercial and residential properties throughout the Los Angeles Basin. As a real estate developer, he became highly successful and gave back to L.A., focusing on education, the environment and conservation.
Meyer Luskin '49 served two-and-a-half years in the U.S. Air Force. He and his wife, Renee, made a large donation to UCLA that was equally divided between the UCLA School of Public Affairs and the UCLA Luskin Conference Center.
James Ellis Lu Valle (affectionately known as "Jimmy") was a chemistry and physics scholar and athlete who earned his bachelor's and master's degrees at UCLA. He was the founder and first president of the Graduate Students Association. Lu Valle won the bronze medal in the 400 meters in the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin. Lu Valle Commons was dedicated in 1985. Before his death, Lu Valle used to visit the Commons and talk to students there. When introduced, he typically said "Just call me Jimmy." The coffee house there is named "Jimmy's" in tribute to his friendly informality.
Longtime UCLA benefactors Gordon (who attended UCLA from 1927 to 1930) and Virginia MacDonald enabled the laboratory’s construction with their gift.
Kenneth Macgowan taught at UCLA from 1946 until his retirement in 1956 and served as the first chairman of the UCLA Theater Arts Department. Before coming to UCLA, he worked as a drama critic, publicity director, producer and director. In the 1920s, he ran the Provincetown Playhouse in New York with his close friend, playwright Eugene O’Neill.
After a long and tumultuous journey from Germany to New York and finally to Los Angeles, William Melnitz, M.A. ’43, Ph.D. ’47 earned his degrees in Germanic languages at UCLA and joined the faculty soon after. He became chair of the Theater Department in 1953 and, in 1960, the founding dean of the College of Fine Arts.
Hans Meyerhoff earned a bachelor of arts degree from UCLA in 1936. He did masters work in the Department of Philosophy and joined UCLA staff in 1948. In his work, he was most intrigued by the human condition and studied contemporary existentialism. The free-speech area of campus was renamed Meyerhoff Park in his honor, at the students’ request.
Ernest Carroll Moore was director of the Southern Branch of the University of California (prior to the formal founding of UCLA) in 1919. Through the efforts of Moore and Regent Edward A. Dickson, UCLA came into being. The UC Regents, years later, named him provost and vice president of the University.
J. D. Morgan was an American tennis player, coach and athletic director. He was associated with athletics at UCLA for more than 40 years. He played four years of varsity tennis at UCLA from 1938-1941 and served as the school's head tennis coach from 1949-1966, leading the Bruins to eight NCAA Men's Tennis Championships. He also served as UCLA's athletic director from 1963-1979, a period during which the University won 30 NCAA championships, including 10 NCAA Men's Basketball Championships.
Dr. Mildred Mathias was a botanist who served as director of the botanical garden from 1956 to 1974. She led groups in discovery, while she studied and classified plants across the world, from Southeastern Asia to Australia, to South-Central Africa, to the Amazons, to the western United States, helping popularize "ecotourism." She also helped establish the U.S. National Reserve System. In 1979, the UCLA facility was named in her honor her for her numerous contributions to horticulture.
Peter Morton owns the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas and, with partner Isaac Tigrett, started the Hard Rock Café chain of restaurants. As an entrepreneur and philanthropist, Morton has given generously to UCLA, and the 200 Medical Plaza Building was renamed in his honor in 2003.
Peter Mullin has served as chairman of M Financial Holdings, Inc., M Life Insurance Company, MullinTBG and Mullin Consulting, Inc., which he founded in 1969. He also chaired the board of visitors of the UCLA Anderson School of Management. An automotive enthusiast, he built the Mullin Automotive Museum to celebrate classic French automobiles.
In 1960, Chancellor Franklin Murphy transformed a former parking lot into a public sculpture garden, a place for students and staff to experience art as a part of daily life. This five-acre relaxation space is surrounded by the buildings housing various departments including but not limited to Theater, Film, and Television, Public Affairs, and Architecture.
Franklin D. Murphy, a physician, became UCLA’s chancellor in 1960. During his eight-year tenure, the College of Applied Arts transitioned into the College of Fine Arts and the schools of library science and architecture and urban planning were established. He was instrumental in the passage of the 1962, 1964 and 1966 bond issues that ultimately gave UCLA $95,000,000 in construction funds. He started the collection that eventually became the Fowler Museum.
Morris “Mo” ’51 and Evelyn Ostin are generous supporters of UCLA and the arts, athletics, medicine and education. Throughout his career as a music executive, Ostin has worked with an era-spanning catalogue of musicians, including Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix and The Who. His donation to UCLA enabled the Alpert School of Music to build this state-of-the-art campus music facility, and for Athletics to build the state-of-the-art Mo Ostin Basketball Center.
As a Berkeley grad, Edwin W. Pauley made his fortune running oil companies starting in the mid-1920s. His entrepreneurial exploits extended to part-ownership of a television station in Oakland and part-ownership of the Los Angeles Rams. He got involved in Democratic politics in the 1930s, serving as treasurer of the Democratic National Committee and as director of the Democratic National Convention in 1944. From 1940 to 1972, he served as a UC Regent and was honored with the naming of Pauley Pavilion in 1965 for his philanthropy and service.
Harvey S. Perloff served as dean of the UCLA Graduate School of Architecture and Urban Planning from 1968-1983. During his career, he produced 16 books, 15 reports and 57 scholarly articles. He also served as President Kennedy’s representative on a “Committee of Nine,” tasked with evaluating development proposals in Latin America.
Gaspar de Portolá was a Spanish soldier and administrator in New Spain. As commander of the Spanish colonizing expedition on land and sea that established San Diego and Monterey, Portolá expanded New Spain's Las Californias province far to the north from its beginnings on the Baja California peninsula. Portolá's expedition also was the first European to see San Francisco Bay.
Lawrence Clark Powell joined the library staff in 1938 and served as UCLA’s second university librarian from 1944 to 1961. In 1959, he was the founding dean of the School of Library Science.
Ronald Reagan served as the 40th President of the United States. Before this, he was the governor of California and a prominent actor. After his tenure, Reagan and his wife purchased a home in Bel-Air and, in 2004, he passed away from Alzheimer's disease.
Clarence C. Reed was a Southern California physician whose gift of land, plus a matching grant of $1.37 million from the National Institutes of Health, provided construction funding for the center. A surgeon who received his medical degree from the University of Chicago in 1925, Reed also was a rancher with considerable cattle holdings in San Luis Obispo County.
Charles Henry Rieber graduated from UC Berkeley (known then as the University of California) in 1888. He then earned advanced degrees at Harvard and taught at Stanford before returning to UC Berkeley to teach in 1903. In 1922, he became professor of philosophy and dean of the new Southern Branch of the University at Los Angeles. He also was the first to use the initials “U-C-L-A.”
Jackie Robinson moved to Pasadena, Calif. with his family in 1920. After attending Pasadena Junior College and participating in football, baseball, track and field, and basketball, Robinson decided to attend UCLA to pursue his athletic career in those same sports. After being drafted into the military during World War II, Robinson was called up to play for the Dodgers, breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball. He ended his baseball career by playing in the 1956 World Series.
Franklin Prescott Rolfe held a number of administrative positions at UCLA. He chaired the English Department and the Humanities Division and served as dean of the College of Letters and Science. He also taught English at UCLA for 29 years.
An alumnus in business administration, Gene Rosenfeld became chief executive officer of Kaufman and Broad. Under his leadership, the firm became the largest housing producer in the United States.
Josiah Royce graduated from UC Berkeley (known then as the University of California) with a B.A. in classics and returned to his alma mater in 1878 to teach composition and literature. Years later, he taught philosophy at Harvard University, where he also served as department chair. He is remembered as one of the great American proponents of absolute idealism.
David S. Saxon taught physics at UCLA, served as dean of physical sciences and later was appointed executive vice chancellor and provost of UCLA. He eventually was named president of the University of California from 1975-1983. Years before he became president or executive vice chancellor, Saxon was dismissed, along with 30 other UC faculty members, for refusing to sign a then-required loyalty oath that they were not Communist Party members. After the Supreme Court invalidated the loyalty oath requirement, Saxon returned to UCLA as a faculty member.
Famed composer Arnold Schoenberg was a member of the UCLA music faculty from 1936-1944. He studied and gained fame in Europe before fleeing the Nazi regime in 1933. After teaching at the Malkin Conservatory in Boston, he came to Los Angeles, where he gave private lessons to film composers and arrangers. His complex compositions, using the 12-tone scale, earned him a place in the world’s musical literature.
Terry Semel has been a powerhouse in the business world, working for Yahoo! Inc. as chairman and CEO for six years and for Warner Bros. for 24 years. He currently sits on the board of directors for both Polo Ralph Lauren and the Guggenheim Museum. His wife, Jane, founded Ijane Inc., a nonprofit production company that addresses public-health issues through entertainment. The couple donated $25 million to UCLA’s Neuropsychiatric Institute, which now bears their name.
Ralph Shapiro earned his bachelor's degree in business administration in 1953 and his J.D. in 1958 from UCLA. In recognition of the couple's long-standing commitment to the University, the Shirley and Ralph Shapiro Fountain at the top of Janss Steps was named, as well as the courtyard that bears their name at the law school. Currently, Ralph Shapiro is on the board of advisors of the UCLA School of Law, is a member of the executive board for UCLA Medical Sciences, serves on the board of directors of The UCLA Foundation and is a member of the advisory board of the California NanoSystems Institute at UCLA.
Louis Byrne Slichter served as professor of geophysics and as founding director of UCLA’s Institute of Geophysics from 1947 to 1962. During World War I and II, he worked on submarine-detection problems. As a geophysicist at UCLA, Slichter studied the minute changes in the earth’s gravity and later was the first to observe free oscillations of the earth excited by a great earthquake (Chile, 1960).
Robert Gordon Sproul was president of the University of California from 1930 to 1958. As president, he acted swiftly when faced with administrative issues at UCLA and kept the University afloat. After Ernest Carroll Moore’s retirement as administrator in 1936, Sproul served as UCLA provost for two years while searching for Moore’s successor. With Provost/Vice President Clarence Dykstra’s unexpected death in 1950, Sproul created an Interim Administrative Committee that led the University for three years. Sproul was said to have a brilliant memory and to have known thousands of people on the campus by name.
Jules Stein was a doctor, entertainment executive and philanthropist who, with his wife and family, contributed significantly for construction of the institute. Stein also founded Music Corporation of America (MCA), now Universal Studios, Inc.
Leonard Straus was a philanthropist and the former chairman of Thrifty Corp. After his move to California, he sought to fund and build the Los Angeles Tennis Center at UCLA, as he was an avid tennis player. This court would be used in the 1984 Olympics. Straus served as president of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Associates and as a board member of the Los Angeles and the California Chambers of Commerce.
Norman Switzer devised the concept of placing bus benches next to bus stops throughout Los Angeles. His wife, Irma, was an accomplished weaver and member of the Palisades Weaver group. In their will, the couple left $50 million to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA for use on priority needs. The couple was also involved with the Fowler Museum at UCLA.
Dr. Paul Ichiro Terasaki was the professor emeritus of surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. After enduring three years at the Gila River Japanese-internment camp during World War II, Dr. Terasaki went on to earn three degrees at UCLA, including a Ph.D. and Masters in zoology. Dr. Terasaki served as a UCLA professor of surgery starting in 1969, and founded and directed the UCLA Tissue Typing Laboratory until his retirement from UCLA in 1999.
Businessman Peter V. Ueberroth served as president of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee and then as Major League Baseball commissioner until 1989. The building that bears his name was built especially for the administrative offices of the 1984 Olympics.
Lew Wasserman was a prominent talent agent and studio head who created Universal CityWalk and was known for orchestrating the operations of Hollywood. Edie Wasserman founded Music Corporation of America and together with her husband, made a generous donation to the University to establish a center that will benefit the public. His grandson, Casey Wasserman, is an alumnus of UCLA and was instrumental in Los Angeles’ winning bid for the 2028 Olympic games.
James Everett West attended UCLA in the 1940s. After earning his law degree at Stanford, he went into private practice. He soon plunged into the business world, joining the Mission Viejo Co. as chairman of the board and, after Philip Morris Inc. acquired the company, as a director. He also was one of the largest landholders in California; his property included a 130,000-acre cattle ranch.
Bob Wilson earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from UCLA in 1953. He then went on to become the chairman of Campaign UCLA, which raised over $3 million. He and his wife, Marion Wilson, created many student fellowships and scholarships and the plaza at the base of Janss Steps was named after them in 2000. They both received the UCLA medal, the University’s highest honor, in 2006.
John Wooden needs no introduction; 10 national championships in basketball speak for themselves. What many — sports fans and non-sports fans alike — remember him for is his extreme dedication to character-building. He’s the man who built the Pyramid of Success. From his coaching achievements to his clean-cut values, Wooden’s legacy endures.
William Gould Young joined the Department of Chemistry at UCLA as an instructor in 1930. He rose through the ranks and eventually became dean of physical sciences in 1948 and vice chancellor for planning in 1957. He was an authority in the field of physical organic chemistry, with more than 130 research papers published before fully committing himself as an administrator.
Charles E. Young, M.A. ’57, Ph.D. ’60 served as UCLA’s chancellor from 1968 to 1997. He was 36 when he first accepted the position and was known as the youngest person at the helm of any major American university. His youth, however, did not serve as a deterrent, as the University reached top-rate research status under his guidance. During Young’s 29-year tenure, UCLA went from a regional college with an operating budget of $170 million to a world-class institution with a budget of $2 billion.